Sunday, August 25, 2013

Be the Gift Part Two: A Celebration of Life

As I sit here thinking and trying to put our experience into words, I'm at a loss. How do you articulate a heart overflowing with love and gratitude? How do you explain witnessing God's love through an innocent 5 year old's eyes, that give with no regard age or race or gender or status?

We set out to "Be The Gift." The gift of God's love for all. The gift of hope and compassion. The gift of a snack and a smile to the busy, tired, lonely, sad, or hungry. The gift of detergent at the laundry mat. The gift of toys to the children's hospital. And we gave, but we received so much more. It's difficult to explain the joy brought by simple acts, but it is abundant and deep and contagious.

The kids and I started out the day with boxes of laundry detergent and snacks at the laundry mat. I'm embarrassed and humbled to admit that I couldn't quickly think of where a laundry mat was. I actually drove to where I thought one was, but it wasn't. It was realization for me of how privileged and how grateful I am to have always had access to a washer and dryer. Eventually, I remembered and we unloaded our goods and took them inside.

Madison and I asked 3 or 4 people if they would like the box of laundry detergent and each one looked at us like we were crazy and said no. So we just left it on a folding table, each was labeled with "gift." They snacks on the other hand were received much better! Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies and oreos?? haha.

Throughout the day the vast majority of folks we approached thought we were selling things. I can't tell you how many times people asked "what are you selling? how much is it?" It was entertaining to watch their reactions as we explained that it was free. a gift. no cost. nope, it's really free. no, no donation. totally free. a gift.

After the laundry mat we dropped the little kids off with Aunt Jenni (thanks for being The Gift to us by watching the kids) and picked up Mimi. We stopped for a special birthday lunch at Bojangles, by birthday girl request. When we were finished she wanted to give out some Hershey bars. She chose several people and approached them by herself (within my eyesight of course) I sure do wish I could have heard the conversation though! But based on the facial expression and reactions I'm pretty sure they got the point and she came back happily empty handed.

Next, we went to Duke Hospital, armed with 2 baskets and a bag full of snacks and toys and lots of smiles. We were all so excited and a bit apprehensive. I wasn't sure what to expect and I sure didn't want my baby girl to be disappointed or rejected. We had talked about what to say. "Hi, would you like a snack? It's free. Today is my birthday and we are celebrating by giving gifts." Most of the time it came out more like "You want some cookies? We're selling them for free. Today is my birthday" haha! Many times confused people would look back to me and I would step in and explain. "Several years ago Madison was sick and here in the hospital. Today is her birthday and we're celebrating her healthy life by giving snacks and treats to who ever we meet." "ohhhhh!" confusion clears. Big smiles. Hugs. Teary eyes.

We gave starting to those waiting by the main entrance. Then the lobby, up and down the halls. We met and talked to so many people. Some just smiled and thanked us. Some said no. Some chatted with us. And a few really made an impression. There was one older black man in the 6 East waiting area. He was sitting alone not really doing anything in particular. We were sitting waiting on a friend we were going to visit while we were there. Madison said, "how about him mama? can I give him one?" I said, "absolutely." She walked the next set of chairs over and pushed out her little basket, she grinned shyly and began talking to him. I'm not exactly sure what they said but they were both smiling at the end of the conversation and she skipped happily back over to me. About 5 minutes later that same gentleman looked in our direction and said "Hey, birthday girl! Come here for a minute" She looked at him and then questioningly at me, I nodded and she skipped back over there. He told her that he really appreciated his gift, but he wanted to her have a present for her birthday. He gave her a $1 coin and she couldn't have been more pleased.

With each "gift" we gave a little slip of paper that said "This is a sign for you today: God is always faithfully good and you are always wildly loved. John 3:16 Romans 8:28-39"

Now before you go thinking I have this perfect child that skips and gives and loves, though she does, she is not perfect. Several times she got tired or she clammed up. While we were visiting with a friend she got impatient and wanted to go home.  She nearly had a meltdown over getting a drink. She's a perfectly imperfect 5 year old.

Another lady that really left an impression on my heart was a woman that was also sitting alone in the waiting room. Madison asked to go over to her and she did. The woman was so grateful she hugged Madison with tears in her eyes. Later, we chatted for a few minutes and she told me of her "baby girl" who is 34 and on a ventilator awaiting a double lung transplant. They aren't from around here, they've moved here temporarily for treatment. She looked me in the eye and held up her candy bar and said "Thank you for this. God is good and he is faithful and it sure is nice to have a reminder." Then I had to go give her a hug! This woman who is bearing the heavy burden of watching her adult daughter suffer and wait on lungs that may never come. I was overcome that God used us to bring a bright spot to her day. The very thing I had hoped and wanted and prayed for and yet was still surprised and humbled when it came.

One young man Madison approached couldn't see me, but he could see my mama (Mimi). He asked Madison, "Is that your Grandmother?" And before she could answer, Mimi said, "No! I'm her mother!" You should seen his face!! It was a hoot! He was so flustered. Quickly she corrected and said, "No, I really am her grandmother, but you should have seen your face!" He was obviously quite relieved and everyone had a great laugh!

Our last stop was the children's hospital. We had a bag full of coloring books, crayons, glow sticks, puzzles, and craft kits. We met Ms. Edith who takes the donations and had such a pleasant experience with her. She and Madison had a special connection immediately. Ms. Edith ended up giving Madison a tshirt, a small teddy bear, and a unicorn!!

What a day. It's hard for me to put into words how I feel. This experience stretched me. It took me out of my comfort zone. It helped me to look into the eyes of people I would have normally passed without really seeing. I heard stories of hurt and hope and took the time to listen. I watched my daughter experience the joy of giving.  I watched her grow in confidence as she approached more people. I watched her show Jesus' love without knowing that's what she was doing.

Thank you Lord for allowing us to Be The Gift!

Lindsey

P.S. Don't think we didn't do anything special for the birthday girl! We had wonderful celebrations all weekend. One even had a real live pony!!


No comments:

Post a Comment