Thursday, April 4, 2013

8 years later - Glen

So, recently I ran across this article.

I married young what are you waiting for?

I've read many similar articles recently and it makes a lot of good points. I was 25 and Lindsey was 20 when we got married. While we had plenty of friends and family who were supportive, we had plenty more family, friends and even perfect strangers that rebuked us for wanting to get married so young and in essence we were "throwing our lives away". The way people reacted actually showed a lot about how they viewed marriage.

"Sometimes people delay marriage because they are searching for the perfect soul mate. But that view has it backward. Your spouse becomes your soul mate after you've made those vows to each other in front of God and the people who matter to you. You don’t marry someone because he’s your soul mate; he becomes your soul mate because you married him." - Julia Shaw

This July we will celebrate 8 absolutely wonderful years together as husband and wife. Marriage has had more than its share of ups and downs and still does on a day to day basis, but I am more in love now than I was 8 years ago. :-) However, neither of us is perfect by a long shot.

That first year was probably the most challenging as we adjusted to living with one another and all the ups and downs that entails. When we got married we were both unemployed. I had just gotten laid off after working at the bank for 5 years in their helpdesk. She had just got accepted into nursing school at UNCG. I was able to find some temporary work until the bank re-hired me full time in late October with a raise to boot. Still money was tight, especially that first year. So, it taught us how to live within our means and we started working on a budget together. Which helped with communication. I learned that my wife loves communication.

We ate so much ramen that first year! Even now when I eat ramen it takes me back to our apartment in Greensboro. I learned so much that first year. One of the first things I learned was that I did not fold the towels properly. Lindsey quickly corrected this. I learned that frozen pizza 4+ nights a week is not an acceptable dietary choice. I learned that the plastic lids for the Pyrex casserole dishes don't go in the oven, and it might catch on fire right about the same moment your wife gets home from class.

I learned that when your wife is cooking and wants you to try something (I am a very picky eater) and you try it and don't like it the proper response is not to gag, turn, and heave into the trashcan. In the event that is your response, do not follow that up with "at least I tried it." That is a guaranteed heavy flannel night. There are a lot more tidbits that I have learned, but I think that is enough for now.

Now we have 3 wonderful kids. 2 girls and a boy. Ages 4, 3, & 1 respectively. We had some family we hadn't seen in a few years over for dinner recently. At one point she looked at me and said "Marriage has been good for you." I just smiled a huge smile. Marriage, and the wife the Lord has blessed with me has been great for me.

 Proverbs 18:22 "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD."

Glen


1 comment: