Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Happy Nurses Week!

My Grandma was a great lady. 
She was kind and loving. 
She was smart and strong and determined. 
She was a wife, mother, and sister.
She was a NURSE.

Vera May Moore White. 

Her name just speaks elegant strength to me. 

Vera went to nursing school while raising 5 children. My mom tells me how she would get up at 4am to study while the house was quiet. That is dedication. She graduated from Watts School of Nursing in Durham and worked at Person Memorial Hospital for many years. I can only imagine the lives she touched and helped to heal during her time there. She was a nurse.

She is why I became a nurse. I want to be like her.  When I was just a child my Granddaddy had open heart surgery and I would walk down to her house to help her change his bandages. My first wound care lesson. She was a nurse.

I am honored to have been able to follow in her foot steps and work in such a noble profession. I am grateful for the lessons learned, the joys celebrated, and the sorrows shared. 

Thank you nurses for all you do. Thank you for working long hours. Thank you for taking abuse from ungrateful patients. Thank you for showing compassion and uncompromised care even when your own life is falling apart. Thank you for holding the hands of dying patients. Thank you for comforting their families. Thank you for being competent and staying up to date with your education and skills. Thank you for giving smiles and stickers and popsicles to the little ones. Thank you for skipping lunch, staying over, and working extra shifts. Thank you for saving lives and families. Thank you for offering hope. Thank you for doing the dirty work. Thank you for being a nurse.

May God grant you peace and strength as you care for your patients today.


No comments:

Post a Comment