Monday, November 25, 2013

Motivation Monday

A few links to encourage a thankful heart.

1. Here is a great something from nothing story. If you're feeling like something is impossible, check out this movie based on the life of  Dr. Ben Carson.  He was born into poverty, raised by a single mother with only an elementary education, and he became one of the greatest neurosurgeons the world has ever known. Dr. Carson was the first surgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins. He recently retired from a 36 year career at Johns-Hopkins where he was director of pediatric neurosurgery and a co-director of the Johns Hopkins Craniofacial Center. What an inspiring and amazing man! You can read more about him here if you don't have time for a movie.

 


 2. I am so thankful for my "boring" husband! I posted this link on facebook a little while back. As I've been reflecting on some things I am thankful for, my sweet husband is at the top of the list. We don't have an exciting story, it wouldn't make a good movie, but it's ours and it's perfect. Glen and I met when we were young, we married young and we had kids young. We've moved 5 times in 8 years and we had 3 kids in 4 years. We've been up all night with babies, we've hiked in the rural mountains of China, we've stood watch in the hospital over loved ones, we've sat on the couch holding hands on Saturday nights, and we've grown in love and commitment for one another. Thank you Lord for blessing me with this man that isn't afraid to work hard for his family while striving to be the best husband and father. Here's a picture when we were still dating  . . .






3. Who doesn't love free printables?? These are super cute. I can't wait to print the Christmas ones for the open house . . .I know y'all are going to look for them!

Give Thanks unto the Lord


 4. After going overseas for the first time I felt like my eyes were opened in a whole new way. The world is so much bigger and so much smaller than I realized. It was bigger and more beautiful and more real than I could have fathomed sitting on my cushy couch, in my temperature regulated home, with my refrigerated food and clean water. And yet it is small, because I met people that loved and smiled and hurt and ached and laughed and cried, just. like. me. Just Like Me. Just like Glen and just like my family. They had goals for the children to grow up and be better than themselves. The experiences have changed me, and as my cushy couch life and my third world country life collide, I've had difficulty reconciling the two. Just recently we filled up shoe boxes with toys, toiletries, and school supplies from The Dollar Store for operation Christmas child. I love doing it, I loved sharing the experience with my girls and allowing them to take ownership in helping someone else. And then as we were packing the boxes I began to wonder if the children receiving the gifts might be the very ones that made those toys. And I was horrified. And saddened. And I felt guilty that we probably daily contribute to child labor and slavery. I don't know a good resolution to this problem, but it's not something I want to ignore. We support the International Justice Mission who works to end slavery and human trafficking and provides care and support to those who have been freed. I also just read this blog post about ethical shopping and I want to incorporate that more into our lives. So, if your Christmas present looks something like this, don't be surprised. P.S. it's from Johari Creations, check it out.

Johari La Palma Necklace

5. Sometimes the holidays are tricky with families. Sometimes it's stressful. Sometimes it's not so nice. I'm so thankful that usually things are quite peaceful around our house. But here are some tips to make sure it stays that way, and doesn't turn into this.




6. I sure am thankful for laughter, especially funny stories from friends. A dear nursing mama friend of mine is winding down the process. She bought some cabbage to help with the process. Later, she got a text from her husband around lunchtime. He was wondering why the lettuce on his sandwich tasted funny. . .




And here is a funny of my own . . .he wasn't too thrilled about me taking the picture before helping him get out.


7. Need some last minute recipe ideas for incoming guests? Check out these 12 make-ahead recipes! I made the breakfast casserole and the sticky buns this week and they were both ah.maz.ing. I mean I ate that breakfast casserole 3 meals a day for 2 days it was that good! Don't judge. I just wish I had taken a picture of the sticky buns, they turned out great too, and so super easy!! They are both now go to recipes.


8. Happy Thanksgiving y'all . . .may it be filled with Thanksliving!

 


A Psalm for giving thanks.
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth!
Serve the LORD with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
Know that the LORD, he is God!
 It is he who made us, and we are his;
We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations
Psalm 100:1-5














No comments:

Post a Comment