Monday, March 25, 2013

Sleeping with an Octopus

I'm not talking about Glen, although . . .No, I'm talking about my snugly second born. She loves to hug, and cuddle, and be on your lap, and be held, and just in general be touching in some way. So at some point I thought it would be a good idea to take a nap with my snugly girl.

Granted, it is a rare day (like I can count the occasions on 1 hand) that I actually get to lay down and take a nap with one of my kiddos. So, Saturday, Glen and I made a plan silly us. I was going to take a nap with snugly second born while he made sure first born was asleep (third was already asleep), then he was going to Lowes to get lawn mower parts.

Well, I get in the bed with snugly second born who immediately transforms into an octopus, out of water, desperately trying to get back to the ocean. What happened to my snugly girl? Why is this sea creature attacking me in bed? Where did all these legs and arms come from?

After about 15-20 minutes of thrashing, flailing, and general struggle the sea creature settles her fate and drifts off into a peaceful sleep. Yes. This is the moment I've been waiting for. I relax. I thank God for this precious sea creature.

Meanwhile, the firstborn has played a clever rouse on her father. She was not asleep. And he was gone. So as I begin to doze into my long awaiting nap, I hear the familiar sound of foot steps approaching my door. I hear my door slowly creak open and quickly shut. Then I hear heavy foot steps, in what I can only assume, was running from one end of the house to the other in shear delight.

In order to ensure that #3 and #2 stay asleep, I get up and address my clever girl. She soon realizes that her reign is short lived and lays back down. At this point I'm still thinking of how I can preserve my nap. I'm thinking I'll stay out here until firstborn gets to sleep and then I'll dash back to my room and sneak into bed with the octopus and maybe get 30 minutes. Again, silly me.

Just as firstborn drifts off into her peaceful dreamland. My little guy wakes up. So now, I need to entertain and amuse #3 to ensure firstborn and octopus finish their naps. We stay in the bedroom and play. I thank God for this handsome little fella.

Eventually, Glen gets home and the girls wake up from their naps. While all three kids did take a nap, and I count that as a win, I would not recommend trying to sleep with an octopus.

Lindsey

5 comments:

  1. Delightful and oh so been there many times with kids and grandkids. They do grow up VERY fast, so get those snuggles in with all of them as much as you can. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second possible title choice, Sleeping with...Release Tha Kraken! Just imagine a pirate voice from "Pirates of the Caribbean and say it with me. "Sleeping with....Release Tha Kraken!" Funny story and oh so true. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me smile. I remember this well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we do for our kinds. This brighten my day thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a lot like nap time at my house!!! God love their little hearts!!

    ReplyDelete