Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Big Thank You!

Having worked in a hospital for the last 10 years in various capacities I have certain expectations for level of care, customer service, cleanliness, etc. On Monday, a dear friend of mine went into preterm labor at 33weeks. She was about 4 hours away from home, having traveled here for a baby shower. We went to Durham Regional Hospital (where I worked for 5 years) and my expectations weren't just met, they were exceeded. Now before you think she got special treatment because of me, that is not the case, no one in labor and delivery or postpartum knows me or knows that I worked at DRH.

Each step of the way she was met with smiles, kindness and compassionate care. We were discussing how great everyone had been and she (a nurse herself) said "I can tell that they love what they do." The doctors, nurses, techs, food services, environmental services and everyone else in between has done a fantastic job making sure she and her husband were comfortable and well cared for.

Can you imagine being 4 hours away from home and going into labor almost 2 months before your baby is due? Can you imagine how scary it must have been to think about respiratory, feeding, temperature regulation and infection risk? I am so thankful that my DRH family helped to calm those fears through excellence in care and service. Thank you for treating my friend, that I consider family like your family.

Despite the best medical attempts to get baby Charlotte to delay her entry into this world, she was ready to come. She was born Wednesday, March 20th weighing 4lbs 9oz and 17in long. She's doing great! She's breathing on her own and working on this whole feeding thing. She's still got a few more weeks in the special care nursery, but we are thankful to know she's getting the best care. Thank you Durham Regional Hospital! And thank you to all the friends and family for your continued support and prayers for this sweet family!!

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment